All real estate licensees are not the same. Only real estate licensees who are members of the NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF REALTORS®
are properly called REALTORS®
. They proudly display the REALTOR®
"R" logo on their business card or other marketing and sales literature. REALTORS®
are committed to treating all parties in a transaction honestly. REALTORS®
subscribe to a strict code of ethics
and are expected to maintain a higher level of knowledge of the buying and selling process. An independent survey reports that 84% of homebuyers would use the same REALTOR®
Real estate transactions involve one of the biggest financial investments most people experience in a lifetime. The average transaction in the Washington, DC metro area today exceeds $300,000. If you had a $300,000 income tax problem, would you attempt to deal with it without the help of a CPA? If you had a $300,000 legal question, would you deal with it without the help of an attorney? Considering the small cost and large risk, it is prudent to negotiate a real estate deal with the professional assistance of a REALTOR®.
Some of the services a REALTOR® can provide include:
- Helping you determine your buying power.
- Assisting you in your home search.
- Providing objective information about each property.
- Negotiating price, financing, terms, date of possession, and more.
- Providing due diligence during the evaluation of the property.
- Helping you understand different financing options and identifying qualified lenders.
- Guiding you through the closing process.
- Providing up-to-date information on what is happening in the marketplace.
- Marketing your property to other real estate agents and the public.
- Recommending repairs or cosmetic work that will significantly enhance the salability of your property.
- Helping you objectively evaluate every buyer's proposal without compromising your marketing position.
What Is An Affiliate?
Affiliate members of the Greater Capital Area Association of REALTORS® are companies, other than real estate firms, that are a part of the real estate industry. Affiliate members include moving companies, title companies, mortgage lenders, appraisers, inspectors and more. Affiliates are active members of the real estate community who network with REALTORS® and keep them informed about new programs and opportunities. All affiliate members are bound by the same code of ethics as REALTORS®.